How to Install a WordPress Theme?
Do you want to start your WordPress website? If yes, you must require a powerful theme for it. There are thousands of themes available at WordPress directory.
There you will get WordPress themes of both free and premium versions. You can get any of those as per your requirements.
A WordPress theme is very important for any website. It will help you to organize your site’s elements in a managed way.
Whether you are beginners or an expert, everyone wants the best for their site.
Today in this article, we are going to discuss overall steps and ways to install a WordPress theme.
But before this, you have to keep some points in your mind like where to get a theme or which type of theme should you choose?
Here have a look toward its brief description:
Where to get a WordPress Theme?
Well installing a theme is not so difficult process but somehow choosing the right theme is quite a difficult one.
But you did not worry about it. You will get attractive and useful themes at WordPress Respiratory.
It is the only place where you will get the most reliable themes both in the free and premium versions.
How to get a Perfect Theme?
While selecting the theme, you must be choosy sometime. Sometimes being choosy is a better option.
First, you have to decide between free and premium themes. If you are beginners, I suggest you go for a free one.
Since it will be your first trial, you may go through some problems or you may not satisfy with a certain theme. Due to this, you have to go for another and again another theme.
And in such a situation, if you go for premium one, you might lose your money. So it is better to for freemium one.
Besides this, you have to take care of several other things before selecting your theme like:
- Know about your niche
- Keep your theme simple but responsive
- Use credible sources
- Evaluate theme support
- SEO Optimization
- Cross-browser compatibility
- Compatibility with other popular plugins
- Multilingual and translation ready
- Ecommerce support
Now, let’s get started with different methods to install a WordPress theme for your WordPress website:
1. Install a Theme using the WordPress Admin Theme Search
This is the best method for the installation of a WordPress theme if you go for a free version. If you select your theme from the WordPress.org themes directory, then this will be the easiest way.
After you download your WordPress theme, go for the following steps:
- Log in to your WordPress admin area
- Next, go to the Appearance > Themes
- Select the themes page option
- Finally, click on the Add New button
When you enter the WordPress admin area, you will get different options to choose your theme.
On the next screen you have to select from the following options:
- Featured WordPress themes,
- Popular WordPress themes,
- Latest WordPress themes,
- Search for a specific theme, or
- Search for themes with specific features.
On the same page, you will get an option for “Feature Filter”. By clicking on the ‘Feature Filter’ button, you can sort themes based on features.
All the available themes are sorted according to the subject, specific features, and layout.
Now go for the following steps:
- Enter the name of the theme for search
- Bring your mouse on top of the image of the theme which you want to install
- Click on the install button
- Once the theme is installed, click on the “Activate” button
- Or you can also go for the “Live Preview” button
These are the overall steps to install a WordPress theme. According to the nature of the theme, it may require additional settings options that you may need to configure.
For instance, you may be asked to install the recommended plugins, download demo data, or review settings. Just go through on-screen instructions.
Besides this, you can also go for the customization part to start setting up your theme.
2. Install a Theme by using the Upload Method from WordPress Admin
Well, from the first method you can only install the theme which is free and available in the WordPress.org theme’s directory.
But what if you required some premium theme from other companies outside wordpress.org?
So, in such a case you have to go for the second method. Using the upload method from the WordPress admin, you can install a custom theme as well as a premium theme beside wordpress.org.
Now for this method, go for following steps:
- Downloading the .zip file of the theme that you purchased from a marketplace or a commercial theme shop.
- Next, go to the Appearance
- Visit the WordPress admin area
- Go to the themes page
- Click on the Add New button at the top
On the next page, you will notice a featured free theme. But you already have your theme to install. So moving forward, follow the given steps:
- Click on the ‘Upload Theme’ button at the top.
- Choose the zip file that you downloaded earlier
- Select the file
- Click Install Now
Once your theme is installed, you will receive a success message along with the link to activate and preview the theme.
Just click on the ‘Activate’ link, and you’ve successfully installed and activated your WordPress theme.
Like in the previous method, you may have to customize the further setting as per the nature of the theme.
3. Installing a WordPress Theme using FTP
Last but not least, installing your theme using FTP is the most advanced method. It is the best option to take your skills to the next level.
If you are beginners, I suggest you go for the above two methods. The third one will be more advanced and confusing for you.
So let’s get started:
- Download the theme zip file to your computer
- Unzip the file
- With this, you will get a new folder with the theme’s name on your computer
- Now that you have the theme files, you are ready to upload them to your website
Now you have to connect to your website / WordPress hosting account using an FTP client. After this, go to /wp-content/themes/ folder. Here you will get the folders for all themes currently installed on your website.
Up to now, you have connected your website using an FTP client. Now follow the given steps:
- Select your unzipped theme folder from your computer
- Upload it to your website
- Go to your admin area
- Click on Appearance
- Select the theme through the list
- Bring your mouse on top of that theme
- Click on the activate button
Finally, we did with 3 different methods to install a theme for your WordPress website.
The first two methods are beginners friendly. So if you are beginners, we suggest you go for it. But if you are familiar with these all and want to take your skills to the next level, you can follow the third one.
I hope you get this article helpful to you. By following these steps, you can easily install the theme for your WordPress website.
Feel free to send us your reviews and queries to our comment section. We will make sure all of your questions are answered as soon as possible. Keep visiting our site for more interesting articles.